Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Have you been to the Discworld?


I don't remember exactly when I discovered Terry Pratchett. As a big fan of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's books, I was overjoyed to find another series with that peculiar British humor that I craved, having shared a love of Monty Python with my father.
I believe Mort was the first Discworld book I read and, to this day, Death is my favorite character (isn't he everyone's, though?) and Reaper Man my favorite novel.

The Colour of Magic was the first book in the Discworld series and, to be completely honest, it was not one of my favorites when I first read it many years ago. Rincewind, the skinny, cowardly wizard whose main concern is his own skin, just didn't appeal to me much. Where was the "hero" of the novel, the warrior or wizard who fights with swords and sorcery, for whom honor is more important than their next breath?

Ah, I was younger then. Now, with more experience and a lot more years on me, I have come to truly appreciate Rincewind, his strong sense of self-preservation, and his ability to scream for mercy in nineteen languages, and just scream in another forty-four.

Rincewind the Wizzard is an omnibus from the Science Fiction Book Club that contains the Discworld novels The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, and Eric, the first 4 Rincewind books. I have a nice copy available in my store at Birdsong Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment